A VPN is the perfect way to get the most from your Microsoft Xbox. You can stream American Netflix series, play Xbox games sooner, and generally stay anonymous and safe along the way.
Why a VPN for Xbox Anyway?
Those who are interested in a VPN for Xbox 360 or Xbox One usually want to game safely and anonymously, enjoy games sooner or even stream international movies and series on Netflix.
Early Access to New Games
The release of new games for Microsoft consoles doesn’t always happen at the same time. Gamers in some countries must be patient for a while as the release dates are set gradually. In some cases, games don’t even enter the market in certain countries, excluding the players there.
With a VPN, this so-called “geo-blocking” can be bypassed; it makes it possible to generate an IP from a desired country and easily download the game. Fortunately, games are rarely geo-blocked, though it is more common in DLC (additional downloadable content for Xbox).
Watching International Netflix on Xbox
Like to watch movies and shows in a foreign language? Then you’ll certainly have a great interest in streaming international versions of Netflix and other streaming services. This isn’t easy when you are in an English-speaking country, as it requires a VPN to avoid geo-blocking.
A VPN connection also allows easy streaming on Xbox One or Xbox 360—and in the language you want.
VPN for Xbox Gaming
During gameplay, Microsoft consoles typically connect to the Internet. Many games even exploit this network connection, so you are always a potential target for attackers. A VPN can be used to play safely and anonymously online.
You also reduce the chances of getting attacked by malware and DDoS. Data packets are encrypted by the VPN connection, making the gaming experience more secure.
But security and gaming anonymity aren’t the only functions paramount to using a VPN for the Xbox. In some cases, you also reduce your ping, which is especially relevant for shooters and other games involving concentration and tactics, where even a millisecond can mean the difference between victory and defeat.
Setting up VPN on Xbox One
Microsoft’s Xbox does not support VPN usage, so you can choose either a complicated method or make use of the Shellfire Box.
Traditional (and Rather Complicated) Method
You can set up the VPN through your Windows or Mac Wi-Fi Router. Various steps are necessary for this.
- First, set up a VPN connection on your PC.
- The connection must now be activated manually.
- Connect Microsoft Xbox with your PC using the LAN cable.
- Open the “Control Panel” on the PC, and then the “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Select “Change adapter settings” and then right-click on the respective VPN entry. Select the item “Properties”.
- Now go to the section “Sharing” and activate the option “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
- Save your settings by clicking “OK”.
- You can now use the VPN if your Xbox One is connected via LAN or Wi-Fi to your PC.
- If you connect via Wi-Fi, you need a Wi-Fi hotspot, which you need to set up with Windows
Easy Alternative Method with Shellfire Box
A practical alternative to the traditional but complicated method is to use a Shellfire Box. To set up the VPN for Xbox One or Xbox 360, there are only three simple steps.
- Unpack your Shellfire Box and plug the power cord into the wall outlet.
- Connect the Shellfire Box to your Internet router.
- You can now connect all desired devices to your Shellfire Box via WLAN. This will automatically connect to the Internet via VPN. Using the intuitive interface, you can always determine which server you want to connect to the Internet.
If you want to disconnect the VPN and return to your normal Internet connection, all you have to do is switch to your regular Wi-Fi network.
In just three simple steps, you’re ready to go and bypass geo-blocking on your Microsoft console. You are also optimally prepared in terms of security and lag to enjoy the gaming experience on the Xbox One and the older Xbox 360.
(Image credits: Ksinan: 89239602/ 123rf.com)